In 2011, I published my first list of the top preppy colleges in the South. It was limited to 10 colleges, and it was difficult to make decisions on which to include. It was an entirely subjective process. Most decisions were based on my experiences of the respective campuses considered. I also spent time talking to current students and recent graduates to get their perspective.
For this year’s list, I’ve decided to expand the number to 20. I use the term colleges, but I’m including both colleges and universities. So the range is extensive. Most of the schools listed this year are relatively small, private liberal arts institutions.
Hampden-Sydney College keeps its #1 ranking again — as the most preppy college in the South – while Washington and Lee University moves up to the #2 ranking to challenge.
The state of Virginia has the most schools listed (8), followed by North and South Carolina (4 each), Tennessee (2), Mississippi (1) and Alabama (1). Is there a bias? Probably. Am I open to suggestions and revisions? Definitely! Let me know which schools you think should make the list, or which ones should be excluded.
THE TOP 20 PREPPY COLLEGES IN THE SOUTH – 2014
1. Hampden-Sydney College, Hampden-Sydney, VA. (Founded 1775)
2. Washington & Lee University, Lexington, VA. (Founded 1749)
3. Sweet Briar College, Sweet Briar, VA. (Founded 1901)
4. University of the South, Sewanee, TN. (Founded 1857)
5. University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA. (Founded 1819)
6. Wofford College, Spartanburg, SC. (Founded 1854)
7. Furman University, Greenville, SC. (Founded 1826)
8. College of Charleston, Charleston, SC. (Founded 1770)
9. Converse College, Spartanburg, SC. (Founded 1889)
10. Hollins University, Roanoke, VA. (Founded 1842)
11. Mary Baldwin College, Staunton, VA. (Founded 1842)
12. Randolph-Macon College, Ashland, VA. (Founded 1830)
13. Elon University, Elon, NC. (Founded 1889)
14. Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN. (Founded 1873)
15. University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS. (Founded 1848)
16. Davidson College, Davidson, NC. (Founded 1837)
17. Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC. (Founded 1834)
18. University of Richmond, Richmond, VA. (Founded 1830)
19. University of Alabama, Tuscalosa, AL. (Founded 1831).
20. Duke University, Durham, NC. (Founded 1838)