A Madras plaid tie makes a sharp addition to the summer wardrobe. The one I’m wearing is from Ralph Lauren. I bought it last spring for $6.99 at Unique Thrift Store in Riverdale, NY. The retail price of the tie was about $67.99. Patches, our border collie, decided to do a walk on in this photograph.
Breakdown on the rest of the clothes, a combination of eBay bidding and thrift store purchases:
- Brooks Brothers blue blazer: 3-button, undarted, sack cut with natural shoulders for $76.00 vs. $598.00 retail. This is the only blazer design I’ve ever worn, and it took several weeks of eBay monitoring to find one at the right price. I would have preferred a J. Press blazer, but people don’t part with them that often. This blazer is in perfect condition with no signs of wear. The lining looks brand new.
- Ralph Lauren buckle back khakis: 100% cotton, plain front with 1 and 3/4 inch cuffs for $19.99 vs. $125.00 retail. Buckle back khakis were worn for a brief period in the 1950s, if I recall correctly.
- Brooks Brothers pinpoint button down: 100% cotton, traditional fit for $8.99 vs. $87.50 retail at The Nearly New Shop in Greenville, SC.
- Bass Weejuns in Logan Burgandy for $5.99 vs. $109.00 retail. Purchased at The Salvation Army in Greenville, SC.
- Dockers surcingle belt: navy, braided cotton for $4.99 at Unique Thrift Store in Riverdale, NY. I am unsure of the retail price for the belt, but I’d guess about $24.99.
The pocket square was a gift from my grandfather (priceless).